Tuesday, October 09, 2001

 

Oh wow, long time no write. A lot has happened in the last week.

Let’s start with homecoming court. I didn’t really tell many people I applied because I didn’t want to have to give an explanation to everyone if I didn’t make it. Well, I didn’t make it. But here is what happened. I made it to the final round... top 8 out of 160 applicants. The first interview was pretty scary, it was just me in front of a panel of committee members. They asked some tough questions, and I was sweating buckets, but obviously I did okay because I made it to the final round. At the final interview, there were 6 members of the community (ex. Businessmen, deans, Alumni, etc.) And the eight of us had to talk to each one separately. It was much nicer to be one on one, and each person was very nice. I thought that went pretty well. So why didn’t I make it? I’m really not sure. I mean, they only picked three of us, and some of those girls were amazing. I also think it may have to do with the fact that I am only a fourth year senior while most of those girls were fifth years. So maybe next year? I have a feeling I will have even more to add to my resume next year. At first I didn’t think homecoming court was that big of a deal, until I didn’t make it. BUT another thing was that I would have had to give up my black belt test to be on court. Maybe it is better that I didn’t make it this year.

Speaking of Black Belt test…I’m almost there! I took my first-round test on Friday. It was SUPER tough, at least the sparring was. See, we take the whole test, full of combos, pad kicking, forms, and paper kicking. That took about two hours. At the end we spar. It’s only 4 40-second rounds, but when it’s with the instructors; it really kicks your butt. So of course I was pooped at the end of that…then my dad and I got to drive 9 hours to Ohio for my lumberjack show there.

Lumberjack show…boy did that suck. An all night drive, then two stinkin shows in 40-degree weather, in a nasty, mucky pond. More shows the next day, then another all night drive home. We did the show in Nelsonville, OH (don’t worry if you haven’t heard of it, I don’t think Ohio residents have even heard of it.) It was a Forest exhibit type show. Lots of chain saws, portable saw mills, tractors, wood-burners, and so on. So maybe Mike would have had more fun there than I did. Although I had decided I wouldn’t mind getting into chopping..rather than just the water sports (logrolling and boom run). We’ll see…

Last night I got appointed Vice President of the Student Athlete Advisory Board. I thought it was pretty cool that I was nominated, but, yikes, I don’t know if I can fit any more on my plate. Because of my vice president standing, I am now considered a member of the UW Athletic Board. My sub-committee is Compliance, which some of you know is VERY ironic. So I have another responsibility, but this should be a fun one.

So those were the major details of last week. Today I spent pretty much the whole day at the Natatorium. I have one exam tomorrow, and three next week. Luckily (well, in an academic point of view) I have another lumberjack show next weekend, so nothing to do but study! Weeeeeee! Anyway, I have candidacy tonight, some studying, then bed.

So what should I be for Halloween? Any ideas? I’m thinking I’ll be Britney Spears again, since I had the costume for my fitness competition this summer. I sure hope Mike doesn’t do that thong thing again…I don’t think I could handle seeing so many girls grab for his…well, you know, again this year. I tried to talk him into something cute like being Batman and Batgirl or something….he almost puked all over. Hehe…maybe not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home