Saturday, September 22, 2001

 

Whew...it's finally Saturday...and do you know what today is??!! Backstreet Boys day! My Dad and I are leaving for the concert at 4pm. I'm SO EXCITED!!! I'm already dressed up in my teeny bopper gear: a glittery tank top, tight black pants, and my BSB heart necklace! I am FOR SURE going to lose my voice tonight. It's halfway gone already from yelling at kids at Madtown last night...but more about that later. I can't believe my dad is bringing ear plugs to the concert. He says it filters out the screaming....not while I'm sitting right next to him!!! hehehe.
Okay, so last night I worked open gym at Madtown Twisters Gymnastics. Normally it is a bit stressful (180 hyper kids and no parents) but I usually also have a lot of fun. Last night was a bit different. A whole class of underprivileged kids were bused in from the other side of town. Not all of them were bad, but a good majority of them seemed to have major problems obeying our rules. Many other kids at open gym were quite riled up before the came as well. I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs all night. We gave so many time outs the bench was full. I broke up two fights, took care of 4 injuries, and was sworn at many times. The end of the night (I just collapsed on a mat and laid there for a while) I began to wonder what is happening to kids today. I totally started to remind myself of my dad, always talking about how awful young people are now-a-days. Then I realized how many good kids were at the gym that night, but I didn't even notice them due to the trouble makers. Nothing is happening to our kids today; the majority of them are more mature, smarter, and more ambitious than ever before. It is a just a select few who are ruining the image for everybody. I wish there was something we could do. I wish there was an easy answer to give every child good values, to work to their full capacity, and to be a benefit, rather than a hindrance, to society. After last night, I really have an admiration for those who work with those kids. I have been a bit sheltered growing up on the West Side of Madison, WI. I know the majority of kids these days will do wonderful things for this world, but how do we make it so that ALL of the young people will?
Okay, sorry, I kinda got off on a tangent. I did a lot of thinking after last night. Anyway, last week was full of busy events as usual. I am only a month and a half away from getting my Black Belt!!! Candidacy classes are kicking my butt, literally, but it will all be worth it!
I'm also busy planning out things for the Kinesiology club this year. I put together a "Panel of Professionals" for our next meeting on Tuesday. We have people from all different kines professions coming to speak to the Undergrads about their futures. I think this is the most valuable meeting of the year. Many people with Kines majors choose the major just because they want to do something with exercise and fitness...but have no idea what they will do with their lives.
Monday will be the first Student-Athlete Advisory Board (SAAB) meeting of this year. Last year we really didn't get much in terms of reaching out to the community done, so I hope we can do more of that this year.
Oh, I had my first test (quiz, whatever) of the year last week! I think it went okay. So far I really have my act together in terms of being organized and getting all of my studies done. I only have 3 semesters to go, I can't blow it now!
Alright, I should get going. I have to post a few more Kinesiology Club flyers around campus, then leave for the Backstreet Boys concert! Whoopee!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home