Wednesday, September 12, 2001

I know I posted this picture a few days ago.  I would like to show it one more time.  Look over Mike's right Shoulder.  We were some of the last tourists to see that view of the Twin Towers.

 

    Hello everybody.  I had lots of stuff I wanted to talk about, but I think first thing's first.  Mike and I were not far from the World Trade Center last week; in fact, we were within a few blocks of it.  At the top of the Empire State Building I remember telling Mike how scary it would be to have an emergency there and have to go down all of those stairs. But we kind of blew off that comment, thinking nothing could happen to those buildings.  Yesterday morning, we were watching TV at the health club and saw everything live.  I couldn't believe what I saw.  I still can't believe it, it just seems like a scary movie.  The UW Band director said something today, which, at the time I thought was incredibly stupid.  He said Americans will deal with this through music.  Tonight I head all of the wonderful songs that have already been arranged in honor of those who lost their lives yesterday.  Just sitting and listening to those really helped me reflect on what has just happened.  When the Columbine shooting occurred, it was personalized in an instant.  12 kids and one teacher died. That is a number we are used to.  It was easy to hear the personal stories and become attached to and sympathize for each of those 13 people.  This is different.  We are looking at possibly tens of thousands of people.  So many are dead it just does not seem real.  I cannot grasp it.  Some say we should bomb the heck out of any country and group remotely responsible.  I think we really need to THINK before bombing or retaliating in any matter.  I am very worried about Bush being in charge right now.  I have a feeling he will act too quickly.  Sure the few individuals responsible should be put to justice, but we do not need to bomb innocent people over this.  America is stronger than that.  I think our big focus right now should be on helping the survivors and their families get their lives back together.      On a lighter note.....I AM IN MUSCLE AND FITNESS MAGAZINE THIS MONTH!!!  It's just a small picture, but it has my name under it.  It's under "Fit Bodies on Campus".  Hopefully someday I will get to have big pictures in that magazine!  :)

    On Sunday I did a triathlon at Devil's Lake.  It was SUPER fun, and I felt I did really well, BUT  a few of us ended up running an extra half mile!  There was not a volunteer at the turn-around for the run, and we all thought the cone was a mile marker...pops.  Because of that I wasn't really concerned with my time, but I did feel great through the whole race, so that's what was important to me.
Track started on Monday!  Yikes!  It's starting out much harder than I expected it to!  Today we went to Elver Park for the first time this year to run that *insert choice words here* hill.  My legs are aching tonight!  Plus to make things worse, Christine, Tara, and I all decided to do gymnastics at Madtown tonight.  I'm gonna feel GREAT tomorrow! 
    Tonight I also went to an informational meeting for the IronMan Triathlon that will be taking place here in Madison next year.  I decided to be a committee member to help run it next year.  After tonight, I know that will be a rewarding experience.  Plus, we got a yummy fancy dinner!
    Alright, I'm off to bed.  Although I am not a very religious person, I will hold each and every affected family in my thoughts and prayers this horrible week.  Good night all.

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home