Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Tubby Squirrels

As I was running this morning, I noticed a large number of very fat squirrels. Summer is over and they are stuffing their faces with as much food as possible for their long sleep this winter. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be able to sleep the winter away… and wake up when the leaves are budding again? I’m in double envy of my fuzzy friends because I also just started dieting down for Fitness America in November. No more fattening up for this gal. This time of year is always very rough. I’m sad about the end of another awesome log rolling summer (my best yet!), Ken goes back to school (I hardly ever get to see him during the school year), I can’t (well at least I shouldn’t) eat anything that tastes good, and my days of playing outside are limited.

On a more positive note, the summer actually ended very well. I competed at the STIHL Timbersports Series down in Lake Charles Louisiana two weeks ago and took a sweet third place. I finally beat the super-fast-and-unstoppable Abby Hoeschler! The town of Lake Charles wasn’t much to write home about, but we did take a drive through coastal Louisiana two days before it was destroyed by the hurricane. We visited with many shrimpers and saw several alligators. I sure hope all of those folks got out of there in time.

Last weekend Ken and I spent more time working on our apartment. We have so many framed pictures… it’s great! We still have a few more projects, but the place is looking really nice.
Saturday we worked at the Planned Parenthood booth at the farmer’s market, and I had my first run-in with an anti-choice protestor. It took us all of our guts, but we were able to remain calm and not argue with the man. Little does he or any other anti-choice critic know that only about 1% of Planned Parenthood’s dealings are with abortions. We spend most of our time educating women about their health, reproductive safety, and contraceptive options. Despite these services we provide, I was still told that I’ll be rotting in hell. Super.

This weekend I am once again captain of volunteers for Ironman. It’s such a blast, but quite stressful! We’ll be getting there around 9am, and be done about 1 or 2 am the next day. But man oh man is it inspiring to watch those amazing athletes. Our theme this year is “A Day at the Beach” which will hopefully help us cope with the 87 degree heat that is being forecast!

Alrighty, back to my busy busy work week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squirrels don't hybernate, silly !
Best of luck in everything and take care of that knee !

9/07/2005 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home