Monday, August 08, 2005

I Won I Won I Won!!!

What a wonderful weekend! This weekend was by far my favorite of the summer, and not just because I won. We started with the crappy 8 hour drive up to Grand Marais, Minnesota (North Shore of Lake Superior) and arrived at our Bed and Breakfast around 11pm. We slept SO well with the cool breeze and sound of the lake's waves.

The next morning we went upstairs for breakfast and to meet the B&B owners, Mary Jane and Harry. What wonderful people! The other house guests were a very sweet couple from Fargo on their honeymoon. Mary Jane made the most amazing breakfast I have ever eaten (stuffed french toast, fresh fruit, and stuffed sausage) then we went down to see the lake. I cannot put into words how beautiful the north shore of Lake Superior is. We skipped rocks for awhile, then headed into town for the log rolling tournament.

The rolling was held in a tank right next to the lake (lake was too cold and wavy to roll in). We had plenty of time before competition started, so Ken and I explored the stores and activities. Just about everybody there had a dog! So we spent lots of time petting cute puppies. Man we need a dog. Ken rolled first, and because there was no novice division, he had to roll pro. But he actually got a fall on a pro roller! His rolling has improved SO much. I had a very exciting match with the current world champion Jenny Atkinson, but for once, things went my way and I won. I rolled for first and second against Katie Hoeschler (in my opinion, one of the strongest rollers this season) and with another super close match, came out on top. I won my first pro tournament! Now, like Ken says... I for sure have to work on when I peak during the season. :) I won this beautiful hand made wooden candle holder, which will look perfect in our new apartment. Saturday night we ate at this amazing restaurant called "The Angry Trout". I guess it's called that because trout don't like getting hooked and eaten. But it was good for us! I actually had a glass of wine (Shana doesn't drink, so this was a shocker for all) and enjoyed the fireworks. And no Olivia, I did NOT get wasted. hahaha. Back at the B&B Ken and I went down to the lake and had a beautiful campfire, ate Kettle Corn, and listened to the waves. Did I mention this place was beautiful?

After another amazing night's sleep, we had my second best breakfast of all time: wild rice quiche, fresh fruit, wild rice sausage, and banana bread. Man on man were we spoiled. We said our good byes to everybody and headed out to Jenny Atkinson's cabin for the boom run competition. Her boom run is 11 stinkin' logs long! Talk about a workout! Olivia and I both had some very nice crashes, but Ken took home the award for best falls. I ended up in second (of course Mandy beat me... that girl is just so darn good!!!) and we had a blast. We went down to her lake, which was crystal clear with an amazing view, and Ken and Carl practiced for the big air dog competition for next year's GOG (Ken was the dog). It was a great way to end a great weekend. The 8 hour drive home wasn't much to write home about, but we made it and crashed right when we got into the house. Next weekend we'll visit IKEA to get some furniture, and also a stop at good old Trader Joe's for some REAL food. :)

Congrats to Erin for singing in front of 5,000 people at her most recent Pat McCurdy escapade.

If anybody is interested in a GREAT place to stay on the North Shore of Lake Superior, check out the Superior Overlook Bed and Breakfast.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are alone, call this number 800-211-9293. Connect with Real Singles from your local area instantly for only $0.99/min with a $4.99 connection fee. A true Match is only one phone call away 800-211-9293. Meet people with common interests and desires now. Check it out. 800-211-9293

8/08/2005 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shana, I hope you can erase that last comment. Spam just seems to have a way into every layer of lifes fabric !
Congratulations on a winning and enjoyable weekend. That sounds like a really nice place to visit though I don't imagine I'll be doing much visiting for a while. Ken is right, you need to work on when you peak ! Means more practice earlier, I'm thinking !

8/09/2005 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home