Monday, June 03, 2002

HDSA Convention

Last weekend I left for the Huntington's Disease Society of America's National convention in Columbus, Ohio.  Since I had my outdoor class that morning, my dad and I arrived a bit late on Thursday night.  (Thank you SO MUCH Megan for covering the logrolling class by the way).

Friday morning I was one of the panel speakers for the Family Forum.  I got to talk for about twenty minutes and answer questions later on.  It was such a wonderful experience!  Talking in front of that group of people was much easier than talking to any other...they really knew where I was coming from.  Afterwards, the CEO of HDSA asked if I would be willing to be on the Huntington's Disease Society of America's speakers bureau.  What an honor!  That night I also gave an "inspirational" talk to a smaller group of people for a closing session.  

Saturday morning I led a walk through the Columbus downtown area, which was BEAUTIFUL!  We walked down by the river and took a break at a replica of the Santa Maria.  I talked a bit about the importance of physical activity for everybody, not just HD patients, but also caregivers, children, etc.  I hope I got through to some...if not, we still had a great time.  I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping and preparing for the National Youth Alliance Silent Auction.  That evening I led a breakout session for youth.  We talked about some great things; got a lot out into the open.  After throwing a dress on (yes, I wore a dress) I went to the reception and helped with the Silent Auction, which was VERY successful.  Want a total raised?  Check this out...$2,931!!!  Since that doubles with the research fund, we earned $5,862 for HDSA!  The Banquet was very nice...very yummy dinner.  I was a bit upset because they took away my extra dessert before I was ready to eat it.  Bastards.  Then...the greatest part of the convention...the dancing!  I'm sure I've said this before, but I need to bring it up again.  This is not just any dance, the is probably the most diverse family on the floor ever.  Little kids, teens, preteens, adults, people with HD, folks in wheelchairs, elderly, EVERYBODY was out dancing.  Nobody cared how good they were at dancing (especially Doug from the Ohio Chapter) they were just out there to have a good time.  A memory that will probably always stay in my head is a wonderful man dancing with his wife who was fairly advanced in the disease.  She did not talk, and had a lot of trouble walking, but he held her close and danced with her a good part of the night.  Imagine holding the one you love for so long, yet they are not the same person you danced with at your wedding.  It reminded me so much of the love my dad has for my mother.  There were many emotional moments like that over the weekend.

Sunday morning I led a National Youth Alliance Roundtable and we discussed several plans for the upcoming year...while eating MANY doughnuts.  Doughnuts are dangerous.  We had one more support group meeting (where most of the time was spent ripping on the Backstreet Boys...those losers) then the convention was over.  A LONG drive home (I slept most of the way of course) followed.  When I got home Mike showed my the layout of my new website that we are making.  It's going to be sweet!!! Although, I don't know how cool it will be if I dedicate a whole page to Jeff, like he wants.  :)

Today I'm going to the hardware store to get some chains and hooks to get some of my logs out by the lake.  Training will start soon!!!  Oh yeah...the diet from hell started from hell.  I apologize if there are several very cranky posts about food up soon. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home