Monday, June 12, 2006

Midwest Meander 2006


Marie, Me, Charlotte, and Sheri accepting awards from the Huntington's Disease Society of America in recognition of our ride.


This past week was nothing short of amazing... and exhausting! I finally had the honor of riding with Marie Nemec and Charlotte Reicks (and Sheri Cole!) to raise awareness and funds for Huntington's Disease. This is Marie and Charlotte's 8th year riding. When I found out they were biking through Wisconsin as part of their route, I couldn't say no. Ken drove me up to Eau Claire last Saturday (June 3rd) and I began my biking with them on Sunday. 90 miles on my first day! By the end of Sunday, I learned this was not a race, and to eat and drink MUCH more than I was. Sunday evening all I could think about was shower, food, and sleep. The next several days went much smoother, and I really got a chance to get to know the wonderful women I was riding with. As much as I hate this disease, I am grateful that it has brought me to some of the most amazing people I've ever met. Marie and Charlotte don't even have HD in their family, yet they put in all of this time and energy to make a difference.
My favorite part of the biking was meeting all of the amazing people in every town. As awareness was our main goal with the ride, we got a chance to tell anybody and everybody about Huntington's Disease, and why it is so important to find a cure. In my week riding, we did not find a single person not willing to listen. And many handed us a few dollars after hearing why we were riding! On top of that, I was in awe of the generosity of the Lutheran Churches we stayed in. I have never been a very religious person, but I now more than ever appreciate people of faith. They all took us in, and made us feel at home wherever we were... no matter how tired, hungry, and grumpy I was!
On Thursday, we arrived in Milwaukee for the HDSA National convention. My butt hurt, my quads were aching, and I was exhausted. All of this and I was only riding for a week! The other ladies go for over a month! All of this work was made worth-while when we pulled into the Hilton and were greeted by a huge crowd of our HD friends and family. I suddenly felt rejuvenated... and was able to reflect on all of the positive things we had done over the week. I also noticed my kick ass tan! :) I went into this week expecting at least two or three major catastrophes (getting lost, bike crash, flat tire, bike problems, etc.) and we didn't encounter a single problem. Just an amazingly rewarding week. I love my new friends, and hope we all ride together soon!
If you would like more information on our ride through the Midwest, please visit the ride website:
http://www.bikeforthecure.org
There is also a daily message on the site, where you can read in more detail about our adventures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home