Wednesday, July 15, 2009

She’s Baaaaaaack…




I’d like to begin with a quote from my blog exactly one year ago today,

“It’s 2am in Las Vegas. No, I wasn’t out partying all night; I just got back from the ER. I’m out here competing at the Women’s Tri Fitness competition, which was supposed to be a “fun event” between log rolling tournaments. On the obstacle course I had a bad landing and finished off my ACL. Reminiscent of my Fitness America Competition a few years back, I went to the ER. Let me tell you… the ER in Vegas on a Friday night is a scary place. After a short four hour wait, I got my familiar leg brace and crutches.
Now I’m sitting in my hotel room drowning my sorrows in a pint of Ben and Jerry’s. I had the GREATEST fitness routine that I was so excited to compete with this Summer and Fall season. I’ve been log rolling and boom running better than ever before this summer. Now it’s all over. This is the most important time of year for me, and now I get to sit on my ass. I don’t think even Ben and Jerry can help this awful feeling…”


One year later I felt the need to return to this same Fitness Competition. Not necessarily to win, but to prove to myself that I am NOT too old for this and that I will NEVER give up.
I don’t think I could have had a more different weekend this time around. First of all, I was far from alone. My dear friends Lisa, Kjersti, Melissa, Josi, and Shayna all accompianed me on this adventure. Also, two new dear friends whom I have been training with Colleen and Nora, met me in Vegas. On top of that, this year I finally felt part of the “Tri Fitness Family” seeing many inspirational familiar faces.

With minimal dieting and training, I was able to survive the bikini round and finish the obstacle course with an okay (but not superb) time. I slowed down at the hurdles (where I tore my ACL last year) but would much rather have a slower time than end up back in the ER!
After hardly practicing due to the fact my knee is not yet fond of tumbling, I practically nailed my fitness routine. I was stoked. I followed that with a new PR on box jumps AND bench press.

The icing on the cake? Making the podium many times:
Age Group Winner for bikini and routines
2nd place overall for routine (2nd to Katie Uter… what an honor!)
7th overall bikini
7th overall Tri-Fitness

These finishes were out of 150 of the most beautiful and fit women in the world. To say I am thrilled is an understatement.

Now that I know my body can handle fitness competitions again, here is the rest of my schedule for the season:
August 21st: Fitness America Kumite Classic, Pittsburgh, PA
October 3rd: Fitness America California, Hermosa Beach, CA
October 10th: Fitness America Midwest, Chicago, IL

Nora, Shana, and Colleen finally get to enjoy some dessert after competition!



Other highlights from my amazing weekend (back to bullet point blogging… gotta love it!):
• The party habits of my crazy roomies. Always good for a laugh!
• The same roomies coming to ALL of my events to cheer me on despite their hangovers. Especially Kjersti for sitting in the Vegas heat for four hours to watch the Obstacle course!
• Finally seeing the love of my life, Criss Angel, in person. Yes, the show was terrible, BUT, I still got to see Criss.
• Working out at my TRX friend Arthur’s BEAUTIFUL gym in Vegas.
• Me forgetting EVERYTHING and having my ass saved by Linda and Colleen more than once.
• Chatting it up with Lance Burton’s manager- and getting second row seats for the show!
• Lance Burton’s Magic…. simply amazing.
• Rio Seafood Buffet after competition with the crew.
• Crab legs at the Rio Seafood Buffet.
• Gelato at the Rio Seafood Buffet.
• Carrot Cake at the Rio Seafood Buffet
• People watching on the Strip with Nate.
• The Mote Carlo Buffet after awards.
• Crab legs at the Monte Carlo Buffet.
• Chocolate Mousse at the Monte Carlo Buffet.
• Cheesecake at the Monte Carlo Buffet.
• Chocolate Ice Cream at the Monte Carlo Buffet.


Brandy and Shana trying to get sympathy for our newly repaired knees



Just like log rolling, the number one highlight of each and every fitness event I go to are the friends I share my experience with. This year I was surrounded by the love of the Tri-Fitness girls, especially my new dear friends Colleen, Nora, and Linda. Remember when you were a kid and you would get so excited about making a new friend? I made three incredibly close ones, and I have that same giddy excited feeling! It was also so special to share this event with Brandy Goddard. We both tore our ACLs within 5 minutes of each other during last year’s obstacle course. After supporting each other through surgeries and rehab this past year, it was unbelievable to stand next to her (okay, okay, below her) on the podium for the overall Tri-Fitness. I cannot wait to share the rest of this fitness season with all of these amazing women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home