Monday, July 21, 2008

Another Setback


This entry will be the reverse of the last… good news first.

Here is a summary because I know these things can get long to read:
Good times at Camp Savage. Cathy Savage is amazing. Hire her.
ACL is torn. Surgery will happen this fall. No fitness contests in 2008, but I will be allowed to log roll at the Lumberjack World Championships this weekend.

Little Kathy, Me, Lisa, and Amber in our heels and ready to walk!

Last weekend Amber, Lisa, and I attended Camp Savage Chicago. I was technically a coach, but I think I played more than I coached. I’ve said this before, but I will say it again. Cathy, Paula, and their crew are the most positive, uplifting people you will ever meet. I don’t care if they said the world was going to end tomorrow… you would still leave the room excited and feeling good about yourself. Luckily, they really know their stuff on top of being so energetic and uplifting… perfect combination. I’ve always had a philosophy about sports and fitness contests, which matches perfectly with Cathy’s: have fun, be healthy, no supplements, and ABSOLUTLY no steroids. I see too many fitness and figure athletes who put themselves through hell and don’t have any fun with the process. What on earth is the point? During my last round of competitions, somebody asked me the question, “Why do you do these?” And for the longest time, I didn’t have an answer. I don’t get paid any money, I don’t get much magazine coverage, I pay an arm and a leg for travel, costumes, suits, etc., and the dieting and training can be excruciating. Last weekend I solidified my answer. Fitness contests are about the girlfriends we meet and train with and the feeling of accomplishment and health after all of that hard work. I am also a HUGE ham, and love to perform for a crowd. I am a firm believer in surrounding yourself with the type of people you strive to be, and Cathy and her staff are exactly that. I am honored to be a Savage Ambassador and coach.

Last weekend all of us girls got really pumped about the upcoming fall season. I had the perfect plan: Fitness America Midwest October 11th, Fitness America New York October 25th, Women’s Tri Fitness Fall Classic in Tampa November 15th, and ending with Fitness America Nationals in Las Vegas on November 22nd. Everything was all set. I feel great; have an amazing routine, a beautiful new suit, and the motivation to train my ass off.
This morning I went to see my fantastic surgeon Dr. Graf to get fitted for a brace to wear at the Lumberjack World Championships this weekend. Then he dropped the bombshell… my ACL actually IS torn. Long story short, 4 years ago I MOSTLY tore my ACL, thus no matter what happened, my MRI would show no ACL. As far as I understand, because there wasn’t much left of the ACL, the final tear did not show up as acute damage on the MRI, making the other docs and radiologist assume there was no new damage. When Dr. Graf felt how lose my knee was, he knew it was gone. Time for surgery. Luckily because of the lack of swelling and pain (and because he probably knew I would do it anyway) I got permission to roll at the Lumberjack World Championships. This makes everything not-so-horrible. I plan to get surgery early fall so that I can get ready for 2009 as soon as possible!

Again, thank you everybody for your kind words. I have the most amazing friends and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home