Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Angel on My Shoulder

After watching the story about how the body shops of Wisconsin are having a record year, I left Appleton to head back to work in Madison. After only driving a few miles on highway 41, I went around a slight bend, hit an ice patch and spun out of control. I slammed into a van, then bounced off the median, and finally hit the side rail and stopped. I’ve heard stories of car accidents, seen them on the news, and even seen them happen right in front of me. But I have NEVER been driving during something like that. And the stories are true, everything happens in slow motion. I remember looking at the van I slid into and thinking about the people inside. I then remember facing the wrong way, and watching all of the cars coming at me. I remembered my dad and Ken telling me how I was supposed to steer into the direction I was spinning while out of control. I thought about a photo shoot I was supposed to go to, each client I was supposed to train, what I would tell Ken and my dad, and my ability to afford a new car. Pretty amazing eh?
With some amazing luck, despite the fact my car was smashed to crap, I didn’t have a scratch on me, and the other van hardly had a dent. When I finally stopped shaking, I saw that another accident had happened in the exact same spot just before mine; and a few minutes after mine, another. We were able to get my car off the road and to the nearest body shop. I could tell the police officer was quite flustered with all of the accidents of the day, and I think he unintentionally took it out on me. In fact, despite the fact I did nothing wrong, he treated me like a criminal. He also said I should expect a ticket in the mail for my reckless driving. WHAT??!! I hit ice! I was driving the speed limit! If any of you are familiar with law, please give me some advice on this one. I’m also worried his anger will show up on the police report, which will then reflect on my insurance rates. Super. After all of this I actually thanked him anyway and his response was, “You really shouldn’t be thanking me.”
I was so relieved when the folks at Bergstrom Body Shop in Neenah were amazingly friendly. Despite being busier than they ever have been, they immediately helped me out, calmed me down, and explained the damage. They gave me a shuttle back to my apartment, and even offered me warm chocolate chip cookies while I waited! I knew I must have been shaken up, because I actually refused cookies!
Ken took me out to a nice lunch, then I rented a car and drove (like a grandma) back to Madison.
I’m not a super religious person, but today I was truly blessed. I could have been seriously hurt, or seriously hurt somebody else. If I do have to buy another car, it will most definitely be a Scion. I have no doubt that car saved my life. The various things I hit, I hit HARD, and I didn’t even come out with a bruise. I was blessed to have the wonderful people at Bergstrom to make me feel better and taken care of. And I was VERY blessed to have Ken spend the rest of the afternoon with me.
I’ve met several people over the past few years who NEVER wear a seatbelt. Accidents happen to almost everybody, and many aren’t as lucky as I was. Don’t be an idiot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that to give you a reckless ticket that you would have to be negligent at driving and cause injury. Not sure if anyone was injured, but i would hope for no ticket. Even if you are doing the speed limit, that can be too fast for conditions and is not always a defense. If you get a ticket than i would take it to court and explain the circumstances, i.e. the road conditions were fine for your speed, but then a unforseeable patch of ice and a curve. There is always two other things to try: an attorney, or just give the cop your business card at court so he can see your website and maybe it will make him feel better and save the next person. I know it made me feel better. Good luck.

2/16/2008 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home