Wednesday, September 26, 2007

End of Summer 2007: Part 2


Lumberjacks in the Sky
With my dad before our jump

My feet above Baldwin, Wisconsin



Yep. I finally did it. After years of my dad telling me how dangerous it is (he used to be in a skydiving show back in the 60’s) Kevin finally talked me into going for a jump. Jamie, Jill, Kevin, Nate, and some lumberjack groupies all decided to take the plunge on September 4th at Twin Cities Skydive. My dad drove me up there because he wanted to see how skydiving had changed in the last 40 years. When we got there, one spot remained on the plane… so I got to jump with daddy!
The jump was an absolute blast, and I really think EVERYBODY should try it. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I was falling… just floating over the beautiful state of Wisconsin. It really is an experience worth doing before you die. For some shots from the day, visit: http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2279529&l=915f1&id=8635709

Ironman

Evie and her mom Jen handing out food to the athletes. Talk about one cool kid.



Don’t worry, I didn’t actually compete this year. But I did run the Kohl Center Aid Station for the 6th year in a row! And I could not have gotten through the crazy day without Ken and my wonderful dad. Ken decided to sign up in 2008 so I got drug out of bed at 6am on race day to watch the swim start. Of course the crowd was so big we didn’t’ see a damn thing, but at least Ken got to feel the excitement of an Ironman start. I was happy to see it too because in all 6 years of Ironman in Madison, I have not yet seen anything else other than the Kohl Center. One day I may even see the finish line!
It was a long day of work at the aid station, but the weather really held out. 16 hours of running around covered in Gatorade, Power Gels, Coke, and sweat. Yummy. But as always, watching those athletes makes it worth while.
The next morning Ken was at the Monona Terrace at 5:30 in the morning to sign up for Ironman 2008. There were already plenty of crazy bastards there before him. But Ken got a spot and has already started his training. I guess I can kiss any quality time with him goodbye for the next year! I know Ken will do an amazing job, and who knows… maybe become a professional!

Zoo Run Run

Fastest pig ever.

One tired pig.

Actually, this activity happened last weekend, which really does not count as summer, but I will bundle it in here anyway!
Sunday I raced in the Zoo Run Run for Henry Vilas Zoo dressed as a pig. Yes, a pig. Runners were supposed to dress up as their favorite zoo animal. No, the pig is not my favorite (I am a huge fan of the ring-tailed lemur) but the pig snout was the only one at the costume shop with holes in the nose. Breathing during a race is always useful. So I show up at the race in my piggiest, only to find about 2 or 3 other costumes out of the 600 or so runners! Needless to say I felt like a big dork, but I wasn’t about to take off my cool costume. I ran the race as a pig and won my age group! Wahoo! I also got a nice gift card for being brave enough to wear a costume. By the way, if anybody wants a sweaty pig snout, I don’t plan on wearing mine ever again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home